Monday, March 22, 2010

City council clean up day


Yesterday I celebrated my favorite semi annual Australian holiday, city council clean up day. On this excellent day the residents of Newcastle put their unwanted bulk junk out in front of their house to be picked up by the garbage men on an allotted day. The CCUD is poaching season for poor college students looking for furniture, I'm told it's not uncommon to see cars with trailers attached driving around hunting for goods.

After a college church service on sunday I jumped into Jacquie's (Kieren's [future roommate] girl friend) toyota and took to the streets. After "sussing" (Oz slang for acting suspiciously) around a few neighborhoods we hit the jackpot. We found a new bedside set of drawers for Jacquie, some tables for Kieren, and a surprisingly nice desk for myself. Tristen (other future roommate) and I sat out of the back windows and held the desk on the top of the car to take it home, illegal? Who knows, I'm a foreigner, things are different back home! < I use this often

After an accomplished evening I wished everyone a "happy city council clean-up day" and retired to my quarters.

I move into a house down the street from my current Accommodation at the end of the month. It's less expensive, only has 3 roomies instead of 50, larger room to myself, unlimited internet, cleaner, and everyone surfs, bonus.

2 comments:

  1. You are really living. you get pat on the
    shoulder, for being innovative. You are so
    smart!!
    Love Nan & Grandad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gav: This comment space goes back quite a
    way. But after the story on making burritos
    for your friends, we are wondering what you use in place of flour tortillo's.

    Mexican food is really quite hard to appreciate if you aren't accustomed to it, you must have done a good job, now they will all want to come to New Mexico!!

    With love Nan & Grandad hasta la vista

    ReplyDelete