Monday, February 22, 2010

Australia is hot

Contrary to foolish belief, Australia is hot, really hot.

Today was the first day of "O-Week" (orientation week) and things went well. I was about an hour late into the international orientation due to poor planning and getting lost. Luckily I didn't miss much and was able to copy notes off of Nina, the other exchange student from my university. During o-week there is endless amounts of "Free BBQ", this is misleading. The BBQ is actually some form of sausage surprise, lamb is definitely involved. This mysterious meat leaves the eater with an awkward look on their face, on one hand it isn't good, on the other, it's free.

Other points of interest:
In getting directions to obtain a student ID, I was told to walk through "the bush" (awesome).
I signed up in a few student groups, looking forward to meeting some new people and exploring the city/territory.
Water fountains are called "bubblers"
Bus tickets for the time I'll be here will cost me a minimum of $700, I might look into a cheap car instead?

My goals over the next few days are to:
buy a fan for my room (I'm having trouble sleeping it's so hot!), look for used surfboards, and figure out my schedule.

1 comment:

  1. Are you too far from the university to ride a bicycle? A car would give you the freedom to explore a little, though.... Just thinkin'....

    ReplyDelete