Sunday, April 11, 2010

Easter break part 2

The lack of civilization resulted in a stunning masterpiece of the heavens, the constalations, shooting stars, and milkyway demanded attention. We decided we wouldn't need to sleep in the tent due to perfect conditions, how often does one get to sleep on the beach in good weather under a clear sky? We woke up at first light and there were already people in the water. We packed up camp and tried to look as natural as possible, no sign of the fuzz.

A breakfast of powdered milk and wheat bix (Australian cereal, it's really good!), we went to pick up replacement boards for Laurie (the Canadian) and me.

The next stop was Lennox Head, the name alone brings back sour memories! Lennox is another famous beach in NSW, the waves are great but the beach... the beach is rock, all sharp, horrible, angry rock. On the way to this beach Tristan said it was "The sharkyest beach I've ever surfed!" which may or may not have gotten in my head!

One has to shuffle across the rocks into knee deep water, being ever mindful of the waves crashing into you. When you see a big wave coming at you, jump over it and paddle as fast as you can before the water recedes and leaves you stuck on the rocks, where you will be destroyed by the next wave.

The waves were pumping but they broke pretty close to the rocky beach, making the whole charade stressful! After an hour with some admittedly great waves, I was looking around and didn't see my companions, either they had been eaten by sharks or they were on shore, either way getting out of the water was my highest priority!

I watched a few people getting out to see what was working best. I made my way towards the beach but the low tide denied me access as i ran into rocks about 30-40ft from the shore, "this could be trouble" I thought. I attempted to paddle back out and try further up the beach but it was fruitless, I was in the rip being carried down the beach, the worst place to be. Luckily Tristan hadn't been eaten by a shark and was still in the water. Seeing that I was in a bad situation he tried to coach me out of it, but unfortunately he wound up in the same situation as me. I'd been paddling for about 30 minutes at this point and was fading fast. We ran out of options and had to paddle for the next beach, .5-.75 miles away across shallow water with the same horrible rocks. The beach was the same as the one we had entered the water in, the only advantage was it had spots of sand and no waves.

Bruised, cut, bleeding, tired, and glad to be on land we hiked to the car.

2 comments:

  1. ahem- what do you mean by Laurie Canadian better if she was an Oz)??

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I fixed it! Kieren got a hold of my computer mid-post and edited a few things without my knowing!

    ReplyDelete