Saturday, May 29, 2010

Surfboard racks, winter swell, and fish

The last few weeks have been very productive as the semester comes to a close and everyone prepares for exams. The highlight of my productivity has been the creation of custom surfboard racks for the postie bike
.
The rack works really well and allows Tristan and I (we both made them) to check several different local beaches to find the best waves. Parking? These posties can be parked pretty much anywhere!

The winter swell has been hitting Newcastle in a BIG way. The other day I went out with Tristan into the biggest waves I've ever seen in person. I whole heartedly insist that a few of the waves that steam-rolled were double overhead, but no one believes me. Each fall put me in an underwater tumble for ~10seconds, it didn't take many to completely wear me out. I didn't catch any waves that day but being out there was amazing and terrifying at the same time.

Oddly enough I've decided fish isn't so bad. I bought about 10lbs of Basa, some type of catfish, because it was on sale and I've been really enjoying it, who would have guessed?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gavin: The rack appears to not only be very functional but it also looks great. If you are not careful, all of your surfing buddies "down under" will line up to have you and Trisden also build each of them one (could eat into your surfing time).
    It's getting to be Summer here now, projected high of 98 degrees in the Valley for tomorrow (Friday, 6-4-10). We try to watch the temp's where your are, looks like it is turning colder there.
    We still miss you being at the family functions on Saturday/Sunday. E-mail you again in the next week or so. Love, Nana & Gramps

    ReplyDelete